Have you signed up for Secret Pal 11 yet? The deadline is the end of the month so hurry up! This Q&A is for my Secret Pal, whoever s/he may be:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I’m not all that picky though obviously I looooooooooove quality natural fibers. Unfortunately, the budget doesn’t always allow for it. I do have to say I hate Red Heart-esque acrylic, aka: craft yarn. <shudder> But I’m not opposed to acrylic blends, as evidenced by Latoya (scroll down).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Hubbo made me a sailcloth ‘case’ for my straits, which I rarely use now. I recently “invested” in KnitPicks Options interchangeable circular set and splurged on a handmade Options holder (again, scroll down).
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? On a whim, I took a knitting class at my then-LYS. Been ‘hooked’ ever since. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I love Laurie’s label: advanced beginner, maybe a skosh higher (novice intermediate?).
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No. Hubbo says I don’t have room for any more knitting books though I do dream about Barbara Walker.
5. What’s your favorite scent? I can’t wear perfume because it gives me a headache. Scented candles are nice – favorites are cucumber, pear and apple pie. I also love real lavender – sachets, etc. Very perfumy, sweet scents make me nauseous.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? There are two categories most people fit it: 1) Chocolate or Vanilla and 2) Sweet or salty. I’m a Salty Vanilla gal. I don’t care for hard candy or dark chocolate. Chocolate is no big thing for me, but if I have it, it has to be Milk. I don’t even like semi-sweet for chocolate chip cookies. Favorite candy: Reeses, hands down. Throw in a Dr. Pepper and I’m a happy (if fat) girl!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? My interests shift. I was really into watercolors for awhile, then papermaking, then (fill in the blank). I’m really into knitting right now and it fits our tight space restrictions. So, no, I don’t spin. I will occasionally dye yarn with Kool-Aid though. Hard to find flavors are always on my list.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like all sorts of music but if I’m totally honest, I really dig 70s and 80s pop music. The only music I really don’t care for is Top 40 Country type stuff. And, yes, I can listen to MP3s. I have a — three, actually — subscription to Sirius satellite radio so I can listen anywhere, anytime. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sirius!
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? My current fav is deep red. Not as dark as maroon, not as bright as fire engine red. A nice solid red. There probably isn’t any color I really hate. Teal and dusty rose, maybe? Sooooo early 90s!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Hubbo and I live with our cat Fred on a 37-ft sailboat. Our space is VERY limited so decorative items (cutesy figurines, baskets, nautical knicknacks, floor lamps) don’t work well as gifts for us. ‘Disappearing’ things (foodstuffs, yarn, the odd candle) are great, as are DVDs!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves: more than occasionally; Hats: occasionally; Mittens: much less than occasionally; Ponchos: you’re joking, right? Seriously, here on San Francisco Bay, it’s nearly always just a bit nipply. I have tons of scarves and hats in our ‘foul weather’ locker — heck, what else does a beginner knit?!
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I thought I’d like socks but they’re sort of “eh”. I really enjoy trying new things with my knitting. Cables were my Mt. Everest (yeah, I know) but I’m very comfortable with them now. I want to incorporate them into everything I knit from now on! Anyway, my recent range has been fun fur hats for cancer kids, adorable one-skein wonders for Mongolian and Afgan kids, a huge cabled blanket for Hubbo, a cabled tank for my sister, slippers for friends — are you seeing a pattern here? I guess the real answer to the above question is: Stuff for other people.
13. What are you knitting right now? A cabled blanket/throw for Hubbo and my Faux Malabrigo cardigan.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? What the heck! As long as they’re small.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? As I mentioned above, I recently “invested” in a nearly complete set of KP Options. I’m missing size 13 & 17 tips and the 47″ and 60″ cables. Since buying them, I haven’t even looked at another needle!
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Both.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Two months.
18. What is your favorite holiday? My birthday! If we’re talking about an ‘official’ holiday, then I’d have to go with Christmas. Ooh, and Flag Day (Hubbo’s birthday and the least known American holiday)>
19. Is there anything that you collect? I don’t have room to collect anything . . . well, except yarn.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Just KP Options 13 & 17 tips and 47″ & 60″ cables. They seriously fill all my needs. I recently subscribed to Interweave Knits. I enjoy thumbing through Vogue Knitting and Rebecca too.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Ooh, so many. Intarsia? Fair Isle? Colorwork? I guess those are all pretty much the same thing. I love color but it frightens me.
22. Are you a sock knitter? I aspired to be a sock knitter but got bored. I knit Hubbo a sad sad pair, then started a pair for me but abandoned them. I did knit up a pair of shorty socks with the Magic Loop method that were quick and I wear all the time. What are your foot measurements? 9 1/2″ long x 3 3/4″ wide (that translates into size 8.5).
23. When is your birthday? May 6, 1969
24. Are you on Ravelry? Here’s my status as of 8/8/07
- You signed up on June 19, 2007
- You are #10070 on the list.
- 1860 people are ahead of you in line.
- 13742 people are behind you in line.
- 34% of the list has been invited so far