Heart-y Party

We interrupt this regularly scheduled knitting post to alert you that this is an insanely long post about my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. Feel free to skip down to the actual knitting stuff.

What a great party! Deadline was over on Friday, May 25 and we took Silent Sun, the boat we live on (Rob tried to talk me into taking little Tess but I nixed that pretty fast — no camping for me!), to China Camp for the long weekend. We had a terrific, relaxing time and I plowed through Stephen King‘s Lisey’s Story. I got zero knitting done, mainly because I was reading the whole time. I wish I was good enough to do both at once — I know it can be done — but I’m not so I had to choose.

Wild tangent: What you don’t know about me is that I’m normally a voracious reader. For example, I read 64 books in 2004 — SIXTY FOUR! Of course, most of that summer was spent at anchor in Barclay Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island doing nothing but reading so it’s little wonder. 2005 was a busy year, what with the trip up the Inside Passage to Alaska and back, so I didn’t have as much reading time — only 35 books that year. Then I got this ‘real’ job. One that took up a lot of time and, more importantly, energy. All I wanted to do when I came home was plop in front of the TV, veg out and knit. The grand total for 2006: six books. So far this year I’m right on track with three books read. Embarrassing!

After our little trip, we had a bunch of running around to get ready for the big trip to Oregon. I worked for 3 hours Wednesday morning, picked up the rental car (we’re not confident in my little Corolla’s ability to make it there and back in one piece) and took off. We spent the night in Weed, CA. If you never get the chance to spend the night in Weed, count yourself lucky. ‘Nuf said.

My sister Sandy and I were whirlwinds the whole weekend.

Thursday we did the shopping — Costco, party store, Big Lots, grocery store. This was all between 2 and 6 p.m., when we had to rush over to my niece’s choral concert. She’s a sophomore and I know a lot of the prime solos went to seniors but lemme tell you, Maria blows all those brats away! A couple of them just plain sucked! We were understandably irritated about it, which made Maria glow with happiness. Her Aunties were sticking up for her!

Friday was spent decorating the hall. It’s really a new annex to my parents church so we got to use it for free and man, it was nice. We didn’t have a plan, just a jumble of stuff that we knew we were going to use. Once we started setting up though, everything flowed smoothly and we ended up with some seriously lovely decorations.

Both my sister and I woke up about 6 a.m. the morning of the party, waiting for the other to wake up. An hour later she decided to take a shower and I was up like a flash! We were at the church by 8:30, men-type-workers in tow.


They set to inflating the balloons — with strict instructions not to waste any of the expensive helium by talking funny — and we set to the hors d’oeuvres. We had a lovely variety of Costco fare and handmade goodies: meatballs and raspberry chipotle sauce, little cream puffs, goldfish crackers (hey, I never said we were high class), salmon mousse on crackers, shrimp mousse cucumber boats, brie and strawberries on crackers, etc. And of course the cake — your basic but beautiful chocolate with buttercream frosting.

Nearly 100 people showed up, at least 15 of whom were at the wedding 50 years ago!

Half the original wedding party joined us!

We all shared wonderful memories,

my niece finally got her solo,

and mom cried . . . a lot. In other words, a total success!

And no one got grumpy or cranky or even a little testy. Not even when, during the clean up, someone let a bunch of balloons loose into the fans nestled in the 25′ high ceiling. Twenty futile minutes of trying to get them down led to my brother saving the day.

It’s called a ‘stadium lift’ and it’s used by firefighters (he’s one) — note that the ladder is solely supported by the three dudes holding safety lines. You should have heard the squeals of concern by all the little old ladies! My aunt couldn’t stand to watch my brother ‘free climb’ so she and my mom held the bottom of the ladder.

Yeah, that’ll help. But it kept them busy and happy. After Brian unraveled the balloons from the fan, Dad took his Red Ryder and popped them all one by one, never missing.

What a great ending!

We now return to our regularly scheduled knitting post.

I made a good deal of progress on my cardigan on the trip — of course I forgot to take a picture this morning, so I have no proof. Both front pieces are done and connected, and I have about one inch of the back done. And there it will sit until Latoya is done.

About three weeks ago, I ordered a bunch of yarn from Joann.com. It was supposed to take about a week to arrive but two weeks later, the package was still MIA. I called the day before we left and, even though their website said it would be shipped USPS, it was shipped via UPS. Normally not a problem but I gave my PO Box. Apparently it was delivered the day after we left.

I was disappointed to not get it earlier because I wanted to get started on Sandy’s birthday present but how exciting is it to come in to work to find a HUGE package waiting for you?! Look at all the yumminess:

For Rob’s cabled throw/blanket — Lion Brand Wool Ease Quick N’ Thick in boring old Denim:

For Sandy’s Latoya — TLC Cotton Plus in Kiwi:

For my On Deck Pullover — TLC Cotton Plus in (gulp!) Hot Pink:

I hate it. hate it hate it hate it. Honestly, I really like the color but would never ever wear it. As I type this, all the Hot Pink is on its way back to Michigan to be exchanged for Spruce, a mellow seafoam-like green.

I must have been in a particularly spunky mood when I settled on Hot Pink — it’s soooooooooooooo not my color. I think Spruce is boring mild enough to be worn more often.

And here’s where I apologize to my TERRIFIC Secret Pal Nosy1. She sent me a great package right before we left that included a ball of purple Rowan Calmer, a pattern for a cabled hat and a bunch of other goodies. I took a pic of it all but it’s disappeared into the ether so THANK YOU NOSY1!



Filed under Good Deeds, Secret Pal 10

2 responses to “Heart-y Party

  1. Nosy1

    Looks like a GREAT weekend!
    Don’t worry about the photo in the ethernet. At least you still have the yarn and pattern…that’s what counts.

  2. Oh my gosh, what a fun time. I got such a kick out of your mom and aunt! Gosh, it was kinda hard to see the picture of your brother up there, though… why didn’t your dad just shoot them all down and let him stay on the ground? lol
    Enjoyed my visit very much!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s