Have you signed up for Secret Pal 10 yet? The deadline is the end of the month so hurry up! This Q&A is for my Secret Pal, whoever s/he may be:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I’m not particularly picky though obviously I looooooooooove quality natural fibers. Unfortunately, the budget doesn’t always allow for it. We all got Christmas Cash this year so I splurged on some toe-curlingly gorgeous yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. Yummy!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Hubbo made me a sailcloth ‘case’ for my straits. Circs are kept in their original packages.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? On a whim, I took a knitting class at my then-LYS. Been ‘hooked’ ever since. Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I love Laurie‘s label: advanced beginner.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No. Hubbo says I don’t have room for any more knitting books!
5. What’s your favorite scent? I can’t wear perfume because it gives me a headache. Scented candles are nice – favorites are cucumber, pear and apple pie. I also love real lavender – sachets, etc.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? There are two categories most people fit it: 1) Chocolate or Vanilla and 2) Sweet or salty. I’m a Salty Vanilla gal. I don’t care for hard candy or dark chocolate. Chocolate is no big thing for me, but if I have it, it has to be Milk. I don’t even like semi-sweet for chocolate chip cookies. Favorite candy: Reeses, hands down. Throw in a Dr. Pepper and I’m a happy girl!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? My interests shift. I was really into watercolors for awhile, then papermaking, then (fill in the blank). I’m really into knitting right now and it fits our tight space restrictions. So, no, I don’t spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like all sorts of music but if I’m totally honest, I really dig 70s and 80s pop music. The only music I really don’t care for is Top 40 Country type stuff. And, yes, I can listen to MP3s.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? My current fav is deep red. Not as dark as maroon, not as bright as fire engine red. A nice solid red. There probably isn’t any color I really hate. Teal, maybe? Sooooo early 90s!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Hubbo and I live with our cat Fred on a 36-ft sailboat. Our space is VERY limited so decorative items (cutesy figurines, baskets, nautical knicknacks, floor lamps) don’t work well as gifts for us. ‘Disappearing’ things (foodstuffs, yarn, the odd candle) are great!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves: more than occasionally; Hats: occasionally; Mittens: much less than occasionally; Ponchos: you’ve got to be kidding.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I’ve enjoyed knitting hats but after the recent glut of them (see the next answer), I’m a little bored. I’m looking forward to a little sockage.
13. What are you knitting right now? Fun fur hats for cancer kids in Boston – 10 down, 2 to go!
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? What the heck! As long as they’re small.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I have a bunch of bamboo needles and some I made from doweling. I’ve not been able to justify the expense of Addi Turbos but would like to see what the fuss is about. As far as straight or circ, I’m bi-needle.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Both
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Six months (the pair of socks mentioned below).
18. What is your favorite holiday? My birthday! If we’re talking about an ‘official’ holiday, then I’d have to go with Christmas.
19. Is there anything that you collect? I don’t have room to collect anything.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Like I said before, Addi Turbos sound cool. Some really nice yarns – I have Debbie Bliss taste on a Brown Sheep budget. I don’t have any mag subs but enjoy looking at all the gorgeous Interweave Knit patterns. Rebecca also is intriguing.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Ooh, so many. Intarsia? Fair Isle? Colorwork? I guess those are all pretty much the same thing. I love color but it frightens me.
22. Are you a sock knitter? I aspire to be a sock knitter. I knit a pair for Hubbo and started a pair for myself (on two circulars) but they’re on the back burner. What are your foot measurements? 9 1/2″ long x 3 3/4″ wide (that translates into size 8.5).
23. When is your birthday? May 6, 1969